Different Types Of Wedding Invitations – Gatefold/Pocket & Postcard
Choosing the right type of wedding invitation is one of the first decisions you’ll make when planning your big day.
There’s no right or wrong decision, but each style has its own benefits and drawbacks.
This blog post will give you an overview of 3 types of wedding invitations and discuss their pros and cons to help you decide which is best suited for your special day!
- Gatefold Invitations
- Pocket Invitations
- Postcard Invitations
We made and sold personalized wedding invitations for many years, and we even made our own wedding invitations for our wedding. I hope our inside knowledge with help you decide also.
What Are Gatefold Invitations?
Gatefold invitations offer an elegant way for guests to be invited to your special day.
They are a large card that folds out into three panels or more depending on the design you choose.
The front of an invitation is usually adorned with ribbon, lace, flowers in order to provide an elegant touch for whoever receives it.
When you receive an invitation like this it’ll open up to reveal more information about your big day such as:
- Location of ceremony & reception
- RVSP details
Gatefold invitations are a popular type of wedding invitation that can be found in many different styles and cultures
Why you should have gatefold wedding invitations what is so great about them?
Pros & Cons
- More Details: They have space for more information such as a place to put your wedding website and registry info. More room equals more details which is always better!
- Look Amazing: Gatefold invitations often have a stunning, dramatic look because of the fold.
- Plenty Of Personalization: There are many ways in which you can personalize your gatefold invitations such as custom artwork, gems, ribbons to name a few.
- More expensive: Gatefold invitations require more time and energy, so sellers may charge a higher price, which is fair because a lot of work goes into making each invite.
What Are Pocket Invitations
Pocket wedding invitations are a popular style of wedding invitation. The main panel has the invitation insert and on the side panel there is usually a pocket where you can put in additional cards with information like:
- RSVP card
- Dietary information etc.
Once you have all your information cards in the pocket, all you need to do is fold it over and seal it with either a sticker, stamp or with some ribbon.
Pocket invitations come in many shapes and sizes but the most common ones include square and rectangular.
Pros & Cons
- More Cards: You can store multiple cards in the pockets, so you don’t need to post them out individually to your guests. You can even include an envelope for your RSVP cards for your guest to post back easily.
- Touch Of Elegance: They look clutter-free with a touch of elegance. Your traditional single-page wedding invitations can look very busy with all the information on one page. With pocket invitations, you can still have all your information without the clutter.
- Color Theme: Pocket invitations are great for a color theme wedding, they can really show off your colors.
- Postage: The cost of postage could be higher depending on the size of them and how heavy they are with the additional information cards that you include. If your guests live locally then these invites can easily be delivered by hand.
- Too Much Information: These types of invites can include too much information which might overwhelm guests, so it’s important to keep content concise and relevant.
People think postcard invitations look cheap and tacky but this is far from the truth.
You have so many options when it comes to the style of your postcard invitation, from the very simple design to more advanced designs that have ribbons, gems, ribbon buckles, etc.
Postcard invitations are one of the most unique invitation options nowadays.
They can be creatively designed to fit any theme or style you want, and they will give your guests a sense that it is very personal as well as being different from anything else out there.
Some postcards are designed in a way that they can be posted without the need for an envelope. Just write the name and the address of your guest, add a stamp, and you are good to go.
Postcard invitations are a great option for wedding invitations because they’re easy to customize in any way you want them to be, whether it’s with colors or fonts on the card.
Postcards also offer an eco-friendly choice as well since many designs use recycled papers and textured paper stocks which have a less environmental impact than traditional wedding invitations.
If you compare their cost per invite then this is actually one of the cheapest options out there – especially considering how customizable these cards can be!
Pros & Cons
- Eco-friendly: Postcard invitations are a green option because they use less paper than traditional wedding invites. Postcards also require very little energy to produce and have the potential to be recycled after use.
- Great Designs: Postcards come in a variety of designs and styles, so you’re sure to find one that suits your taste. Postcard invitations also offer the ability to be customized with colors or fonts at no extra cost!
- Cheap: Compared to other wedding invites, postcard invitations are cheaper per invite – especially considering how customizable they are. Keep in mind that the more advanced the design, the higher the price will be.
- Design Limits: Postcards don’t allow you to include the same level of details as the pocket or the gatefold style invitations without them looking cluttered.
How Much Cost Per Invite
This really depends on where you purchase your wedding invitations.
Before this website, we had a wedding stationery business for many years and Wedding invitations were the centerpiece of our business.
Our customers were mainly primarily from wedding fairs, but we also maintained a strong presence on eBay.
eBay or any other similar platform is the perfect place to find a great deal.
Here is an example for cost per invite :
- Gatefold Invitations (from $1-$2.50 per invite)
- Pocket Invitations ($1.50-$4.50 per invite)
- Postcard Invitations ($.50-$3.30 per invite)
Postcards are usually the cheapest because they require less printing and paper. Keep in mind that the more advanced the design, the higher the price will be, whichever style you go with.
Pocket invitations are really nice but they can get expensive quickly though. So, keep your budget in mind when choosing this style.
Gatefold invitations are also very popular and they look amazing. You can easily find some simple designs that won’t cost too much but still look great. This style was our best seller in our shop.
Which Wedding Invitation Is The Cheapest?
If you have a limited budget for your wedding invitations, not to worry. Postcard invitations are an excellent choice.
Postcards are less expensive than full invitations and with a few gems, they can look elegant and classy.
Your wedding day is one of the most important days in your life and you want it to be as perfect as possible.
Choosing the perfect wedding invitation doesn’t need to break the bank. There are many options out there where you can still have the perfect wedding invitations on a budget.
What type of invitation would you like to use for your big day?
Do you prefer paper or electronic cards? What style do you want, classic or modern?
Keep in mind there are many styles that don’t require expensive materials and they will convey all your important information with class!
Your guests won’t know if it was $15 instead of $300.00 because at the end of the day, what matters most is that everyone has an opportunity to celebrate this special occasion with love and joy!
I really hope this article has given you a better idea of which style of wedding invitation will suit your needs.
If you have any tips or advice, please share them down in the comments.
All the best for your BIG DAY!